Talk of Heaven




I have a tough time whenever I hear people discussing "heaven." My little brain goes into a tailspin. It conjures up a myriad of images: angels strumming harps on puffy clouds, cherubim flying among the stars and seraphim protecting God's throne, St. Peter waiting to sign me in or kick me out, and so much happiness and joy that one might opt for the other place. What was it that Mark Twain said?  Heaven for climate, hell for companionship?

Of course, I'm being silly here, and what happens to us after we die is of great interest and concern to those of us who are still among the living. As Christians we hear a lot of talk about the Kingdom of God, and eternal life, and many other phrases that may be meant to bring us peace, but in my case, sometimes cause anxiety. Heck. You're reading a post by someone who looks for her phone and her glasses while talking on that phone and wearing said eye gear.  Heaven is way too big of a concept for this little mind to wrap itself around.

So, instead of attempting to wax eloquent on a subject I know nothing about, let me instead share a wonderful post by Derek Olsen that I found on The Episcopal Cafe blog.  He says it all so much better than I could.

May you find it helpful in your musings about life, death, and the beyond...In the meantime, I hope your today is filled with purpose, joy and boundless love.

http://www.episcopalcafe.com/daily/theology/salvation_what_it_isnt.php

Peace and all good things...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Need the Answer NOW!

The Cedars of Lebanon

Standing Firm