A Day of Rest--Sort Of

I know I proclaimed today a day of rest, but I somehow got the energy up to attend church this morning.  I spent the afternoon wiped out, but it was worth it.

There is something so important to me to be in a communal setting when worshipping God.  Alone is doable.  I pray and meditate often when alone, but there is a spark that enters my spirit when I sit in a room full of other worshippers, all coming together to open our hearts to God.

The Eucharist, too, has taken on new meaning.   As I struggle to come to a greater understanding of Jesus, his story and his word, Holy Communion means communing with others who are making a commitment to "Do this is remembrance" of Him each week.  Their faith strengthens me when mine is weak, which honestly, is usually much of the time.

I'm also taking a theology class taught by a priest at a local Episcopalian Church in Charlotte, NC.  His teachings are turning my world upside down, but I'm beginning to think that being turned upside down and shaken hard a few times can do one good.  I'll report back on this one.
He is the one suggesting that I stop trying so hard to understand everything, that I show up and let my faith "come to me" so to speak. (These young men and women coming out of divinity school--look out for them.  They can knock you out of your complacency just when you were getting comfy.)

Today, I want to send out a prayer to all my Ghanaian brothers and sisters who are waiting so patiently for us to get the permanent medical clinic built in Yiwabra, Ghana.  I'm part of The Yonkofa Project (www.yonkofa.org), a non-profit, non-religious organization that works with the support of the Catholic World Mission and any and all other groups willing to help us get our permanent clinic built.  This clinic will be run by Ghanaian nurses and medical personnel, and will provide a perfect location for doing studies on malaria and typhoid and other tropical diseases on an ongoing basis.



To all the children I met while I was filming there with my team (we are producing a documentary about the project), I want you to know that we are doing all that we can to get that clinic up and running as soon as possible.  It will be such a blessing, and it gladdens my heart to think of all the little babies that will be born there in a healthy setting, ready to claim their place in God's world.

Peace and all good things...Cristina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Need the Answer NOW!

Standing Firm

The Cedars of Lebanon